Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Sweat & Intensity


One common concern I hear from women is that they workout and eat right an yet results are minimum at best. This subject drives an interesting discussion for me.  I struggled with the same issue for years until this recent transformation.  There could be countless reasons for someone to not see any results, but I can only speak from my experience.

The first area in my fitness routine that I saw an opportunity for improvement was my intensity during my workouts.  Intensity of a workout should be at ten during your workout.  If you think about it what is a level three or four on the intensity scale going to do?  You want to work like you are in a full on sprint mode during your workout.  Its only 30-45 minutes, for maximum effectiveness your heart rate should be elevated and you must be exercising rigorously or else you might as well sit back down on the couch.  Tell yourself "self if it doesn't burn or hurt it’s a waste of time".  That is literally the end of the matter because if you don't bring energy you simply are wasting your time.  I know its hard, but guess what who cares! Do you or do you not want to get in shape? Do you want to have people coming up to you saying, “What are you doing to look so good?”  Do you want to look in the mirror naked and like what you see?  Well if you answered yes to those questions then you will want to work hard 45 min 3-4 times per week.  Besides intensity its also good to focus on creating a routine so you have purpose while at the gym.  



The second major problem I had in my past was being consistent with my eating and workout. During the times in my life that I did exercise or try a diet I never stuck with it for long (longer than a month to be honest).  I started and stopped so many diets that one could easily label me as a “yoyo dieter”.  I have tried the abs diet, apple a day diet, Atkins diet, body cleanse diet, cabbage soup diet, calorie restriction diets, detox diets, eating for life diet, eating for your type diet, eat to live diet, eat so you don't die diet, eat every other day diet, HCG diet, Jenny Craig, P90X Nutrition Plan diet, raw food cleanse, Skinny B diet, weight watchers diet, and probably many more I want to forget like the lemonade diet (or master cleanse) etc.  I can’t say that one or all of these diets are bad, some may have great methods and if applied I would be perfectly skinny and healthy. The whole point of any diet is that it must be sustainable for life.  Why?  Well, think about it, in order to be consistent it must be something you can do consistently, so the changes will last.  That's why people who are successful change their eating habits so it's more of a lifestyle, they are living and eating in a way that is conducive for their way of life.  That is what’s working for me since making the change. My lifestyle allows me to wake up at 4a.m. and dedicate two hours to the gym.  I would work with the time I had if I couldn’t make it in the morning.  I would go at lunch time, walk after work, or go on weekends.  The pattern is simple,  I go when I can and do what is necessary to maintain my consistent lifestyle.





No comments:

Post a Comment