Thursday, August 9, 2012

38 Days Thursday Interval Running

Today was suppose to be my day off from the gym all together but I cheated myself out of my cardio yesterday.  I absolutely despise going to the gym after work and I left my music in my car yesterday at the gym so I just had the hardest time running.  I should have just exercised on the elliptical but I was being stubborn and told myself I would have to run at the park while Jason did BC or to truck myself all the way back to the gym after work... I did none of the above so I gave up my day off and did my cardio.  I didn't hit my goal of 3 miles which should have been super easy only did 2 miles of interval training.

Interval Running is when you intermittently run at a consistent speed (slower than you would normally run) then run fast for about a minute.  I started with 6.0 on the TM then went up to 7.0 then 7.5 for 90 seconds. Ultimately there are a few reasons I believe interval running is beneficial for me.  1) I hope to build up my speed for my upcoming race next month. 2) Interval Running is said to burn more fat after multiple sessions. 3) Helps my lung capacity or VO2 Max

Click here for more info on -Interval Running

Top Ten Reasons for Interval Running
  1. Reduces boredom
  2. Increases post-exercise energy usage
  3. Stimulates our respiratory, cardiovascular, and nervous system to a greater degree
  4. Increases the activity of enzymes involved in fat burning
  5. Burns fat and more calories
  6. Causes a greater increase in VO2max (aerobic capacity)
  7. Better time Efficiency
  8. Results in increased amounts of circulating growth Hormone
  9. Makes use of both aerobic and anaerobic muscle fibres
  10. Increased Fat Loss

No comments:

Post a Comment