Wednesday, August 1, 2012

46 Days- Wednesday Race Season

Racing in 5,8,10k's is where its at... It's all about the challenge.  I would say this time last year in August is when I began my initial racing career with good friend Jay Bonner.  Both green when it came to running so we started with a very highly recommended training guide called Couch to 5k.  We both had never ran before and started with running a little over a minute at a time with a 30 second break in between until we built our legs and lungs up to endure 3 miles of running.  Our first race was the Annual Laveen 5k which was minutes from Jay's house.  We practiced 4-5 days a week at Alta Vista park driving our self round and round that circular path until we got ourselves up to 3 miles.  To be honest I knew Jay was a much stronger racer/runner than me because she would push herself to run without water, or through extra laps without stopping.  She even would push herself to run faster while I was just trying to get myself adjusted to the 8 laps (3 miles) I was suppose to do in a matter of days at the 5k. At the time of the race I believe I had never ran more than 2 miles until race day.  I pushed myself as hard as I could and only stopped 1x which was to get water. Time was just over 29 minutes.  Jay's time was around 25minutes.

Now that its August I can see runners starting to come out to practice in the park, or in neighborhoods practicing for their next race.  I have booked my first race for this season.  The first race I am running is gonna be the same race I started with last year just for nostalgic reasons which will be Saturday 23th at 6:30am.  We will officially start training together September 5th so for now I will just work on interval training at my gym on the treadmill.




4th Annual Laveen 5k
Betty Fairfax Highscool
8225 S. 59th Ave
Laveen, AZ

No comments:

Post a Comment