Sunday, July 22, 2012

56 days Sunday Who is Food?


The purpose of food has evidently lost its once clearly identified purpose with so many people.  Prior to embarking on my very own fitness journey food meant something different than it means to me now.  Then it was something I did that was similar to a pastime or activity vs. for its primary purpose of nourishment.  I know this was the case because of the foods I chose and the way I took them in my body.  I never really gave any thought to the type of food I was eating or of the timing of it.  I didn't give any thought to the foods prep or the outcome of eating whatever I ate.  The sustenance of the food never came to mind but more so the enjoyment that would come from it. In the end I developed a very unhealthy view of foods which lead to weight problems.

I was reading a really interesting blog post Movement of the mind blog entitled Who is Food of which the blog discussed how we as people have relationships with our food.  What stood out to me was that the problem is so deeply rooted that solutions to the problem seem even farther fetched than the original problem. I think this issue is more common than most want to accept.  In fact many people who over eat find that it usually stems from their past or from some unidentifiable source in their past.  Regardless it is important to shine light on the issue and become aware.  It is important to remind ourselves what food is for and how choosing the right foods can energize and promote health vs. disease and lethargy. 

I would like to offer a few key suggestions in regards to eating that have helped me make fitness a way of life:

  • Eating 5-6 smaller meals every 2-3 hours vs. 2-3 meals hours apart
  • Eat lean protein and veggies for lunch and dinner
  • Don't avoid carbs but educate yourself on the good carbs that promote health
  • Drink enough water (try this little trick  )
  • Avoid processed sugars and as much boxed foods as you can
  • Always eat breakfast
My work out today included legs and abs.  I worked every muscle in my legs until I could no longer stand...

No comments:

Post a Comment